I forgot to take a "first day of school" pic, I'll get that tomorrow...second day of school pic is just as good! This is the "first day of studying after a year off" pic.
In order to fuel Bradley's little brain (I don't mean little as in small or dumb, but little as in cute, it's meant to be endearing) I decided to make something with spinach. Actually, that's not true. I decided to make minestrone soup, then found out it called for spinach, and congratulated myself on picking a supercharged brain food for dinner.
The best thing about this? You can bust out your crock pot! How I love any meal that calls for a crock pot.
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can white beans, drained, rinsed (cannellini or navy)
- 3 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- salt and fresh pepper
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen (defrosted) spinach
- 2 cups cooked small pasta like ditalini
- extra Parmesan cheese to top
Forty minutes before the soup is done cooking, add zucchini and spinach. Cover and cook 30 more minutes. Add cooked pasta, cook 10 minutes more. Remove bay leaves, rosemary sprig, and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Ladle soup into bowls and top with extra parmesan cheese.